September 2, 2013 9 Comments
Blackberries are in season and there are a lot of them here at Ladybird Lane. I’ve made quite a bit of jam so far and was looking for something else to do with them when I ran onto a recipe for Blueberry Loaf from Marie at People Treats. So, I thought, why not replace the blueberries with blackberries in this recipe. I got a bit of time today to try just that and it worked out pretty well. I didn’t take the time to nicely document how I made the blackberry break. Marie does a nice job of that and since I’m kind of a naturally messy person documenting my baking would be an embarrassing moment for my wife. So, to see photos of the process visit Marie’s blog.
The taste of the blackberry bread is terrific (I added a bit of cinnamon that wasn’t in Marie’s recipe). The blackberries are a bit sour but combined with the sweet dough it is a great combination. And the bread looks good in the pan. One problem I found was that I put too many blackberries into the dough. The blackberry is a bit different in structure from the blueberry and falls apart without too much pressure. There was a pretty high concentration of blackberries in the middle of the loaf. When I removed the loaves from the pans they tore apart a bit in the middle leaving some of the bread on the bottom of the the pan even though it wasn’t really stuck to the bottom of the pan. All of those blackberries are a big plus for flavor but they make it difficult to remove the loaf from the pan without some of the dough in the middle tearing away. I’m thinking the next time I try this I’ll use fewer blackberries and I’ll use one of those cake pans that have the removable bottom. And, next time I’ll lightly flour the bottom of the pan just to make sure there’s no chance of the cake sticking. Hopefully that will let the blackberry loaf separate from the bottom of the pan a bit more easily.