Help!!!!!! What’s this mushroom?


What’s this mushroom? I found it in my yard. It looks like a morel from what I’ve seen at our local farmer’s market. But, then again I’m not an expert. Will I die if I eat this??? (Please, only friends answer that question!)

Advertisements

11 Responses to Help!!!!!! What’s this mushroom?

  1. If you slice it lengthwise and its hollow in the middle with no fuzzy mycelial growth then it is safe to eat. I would eat it right now if you were near here because I can tell from looking that it is indeed a morel.

    • Mike says:

      Thanks! I’ll do the dissection. Do you have morels in your part heaven?

      • We absolutely do Mike, but it was so dry this year and Ma got another big healthy dose of tick fever so we stayed home from mushroom hunting. Pa.

        • Mike says:

          Ticks, even here in town, I see my neighbors staying out of the thickets between lots. Get well soon, Ma!

  2. It is a morel. I grew up with them on our farm. To my knowledge, there is no other mushroom that looks like a morel, that’s why you’re safe to eat them. My sister just picked half a bushel of them out of the woods behind her house yesterday. This is the time of year for them.

    • Mike says:

      Thanks for the feedback, Donna!

  3. Brenda says:

    Hmm, looks like a morel, but I wouldn’t mess with mushrooms.

    • Mike says:

      Thanks for the advice, Brenda. I’d dearly love to try that but I’m not sure what it is although one fellow assures me, 99.99% sure, it’s a morel. I’m thinking about offering him the first bite. ;-)

      • Brenda says:

        Hmm… You could check with a botanist or horticulturist. OR you could just skip it. LOL Good luck with it.

        • Mike says:

          Thanks, Brenda. I’m curious to know what this is. So, I’m going to cut the stem open and if it’s hairy inside it’s going in to the trash. If it’s hollow then it seems it’s a true morel. I’m not so sure I’ll be putting it in my stomach, however, since the warnings on the mushroom sites seem pretty dire.

          • Brenda says:

            I’m no expert. Mushrooms can be poisonous, mind-altering and even addictive, or so I’ve heard…

%d bloggers like this: