Romanian is a colorful language
March 7, 2015 7 Comments
Skimming through my news feed yesterday I ran into this headline, “24 of the Funniest Romanian Expressions.” I definitely had to click on that one. Romanian is a very colorful language and I wanted to see if I’d heard, or heard about, any of these. Here are a few I like.
- A Romanian is not “surprised”…his “face has fallen off” (I-a picat fața).
- A Romanian didn’t just “do so much with so little” … he “made a whip out of shit” (Face din rahat bici). … Maybe a little less literal translation is, “made from whipped shit.”
- A Romanian hasn’t just “screwed up” … he “threw his boogers in the beans” (A dat cu mucii-n fasole).
- A Romanian doesn’t simply deem an effort “useless” … he says it’s “a rub on a wooden leg” (Frecție la picior de lemn).
- A Romanian won’t say that something is “cool” … he’ll say it’s “concrete” (Beton). … My wife’s cousin uses this all the time.
- A Romanian is not “nervous” … he “has a carrot (in his ass)” (Are un morcov în fund).
- As a Romanian you don’t “fool yourself” … you “get drunk with cold water” (Te îmbeți cu apă rece).
- A Romanian hasn’t been “scammed” … he “took a spike” (A luat țeapă). … I wonder if that’s how the wood spike in Dracula’s chest came about.
You can check out more of these from Paula Veselovschi at the Matador Network if you want a good laugh. For all of my Romanian friends out there, what’s your favorite Romanian expression?